France: Day Five

 Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Journal Entry: August 19, 2011

"Today we went to the market. I have decided every town in the entire world needs a market just like this. It was incredible. People just set up thier little tables and sell whatever it is they have to offer. There were fruit stands, meat venders, booths of jewlery and toys. One woman had a two tables full of scarves and shawls she had made with her own hands. I had to stop myself from buying the entire street. (Don't worry, Momma. I showed enough self control to make you proud. I didn't spend a single euro, and I think that deserves some serious praise. So go on, praise me. ;] )

I meant to take pictures, but I got caught up in the business of it all. However, Marc came to my rescue and took a few himself.

This woman was singing along to one of those giant music boxes that you have to hand crank yourself, and she had a little mechanical monkey dancing in front of her. It was pretty much epic.




In the center of it all, there was a scene right out of a movie. A beautiful fountain circled by beautiful old buildings, cobblestone streets, and intensely green vines winding thier way up and around it all. People were sitting on the edge of the fountain, all eyes fixed on a man playing a battered old guitar. The sound of it was heartbreaking and healing all at once. A few of the observers dropped a coin or two into the hat at his feet, and the chinking sound they made seemed to blend in with the song he sang in perfect harmony.

I could have stayed and wandered those streets for hours, but Marc and Frederique were in a hurry so we rushed in and out much more quickly than I would have liked. If I ever get the chance to go back to a market like that (which won't be very hard because they are EVERYWHERE here) I will definitely spend more time perusing and people watching."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP