Mind the Gap: Flashback to London

 Monday, April 16, 2012

Okay, I am officially the master of procrastination. It is no secret that I have never really been what you would call "organized" (just ask any one of my Mother's). But I've always told myself that as long as what needs to be done ends up being done, does it really matter at which point on the timeline it happens?

Okay, I'll admit, it isn't exactly the most effective of philosophies. . . but the job ends up getting done, and that is what counts. That is why, despite the fact that it has been what feels like AGES since my little road trip to London, I feel absolutely no remorse whatsoever in pressing the rewind button for a post or two so that I can tell you all about it. =]

Yes, I said road-trip, and no I am not crazy. I realize there is an ocean in between here and the U.K. The logical route would be to take an airplane or boat, but since when has anything I have done ever been "logical"? I'm no Vulcan, that is sûr et certain. No, we decided to defy logic and DRIVE to London.

"How is this possible?" you may be asking yourself. Well you see, there is this nifty little thing called the "Eurotunnel" that runs right underneath the Ocean, connecting France and England in one giant sucker punch to logic's face. Poor Mr. Spock would be horrified. . .




We finally made it to London after several hours of being stuffed into the back seat of Maman-D's rediculously teensy tiny little car with the stereo turned up as loud as it could go (and us singing along even louder, which is always entertaining with Noémie around. She only gets a fraction of the lyrics right, but she will belt out a song as if she were the one who WROTE the darn thing. It's cute.)





London was EVERYTHING I expected it to be and more: Giant red double-decker buses, an impossible underground system, and a coffee shop on every corner. Who could ask for more? =]

I was all kinds of thrilled when I saw this phone booth. Look at it! It's just like you see in the movies! =]  
If glaring menacingly into the camera is part of Mr. Grumpy Guard Mans job description, he is doing a very good job. It's alright, my grin is plenty big enough for the both of us. =] 

Noémie and I decided this bridge belongs in a scene from a Disney Film. Can you see it too? 





I was too snippity to try a bite, but I couldn't leave without at the very least a picture of  England's famous "Pork Pie". =] 


Traffic runs in the opposite direction in England, so they have to remind the pedestrians to watch out. At first we thought it was funny, but by the end of the week, we were grateful for the little reminder. 



I had a blast melting into all the little stereotypes of London, but I had even more fun discovering its surprises. Camden Town, for example. How is it that I have never heard of this place? The buildings alone are enough to send the quirky little girl hiding inside me into a frenzy, not to mention the treasures you find INSIDE the buildings. =]





One week wasn't even close to enough time to see it all. We packed each day full of adventure and discovery, but there just wasn't enough time. The week ended before I was ready for it, and along with it ended my English adventure.

Don't you get to comfortable, London. I am not finished with you. I'll be back. ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP